Saturday, March 17, 2007

Success in Weight Loss



One of the biggest things that has helped me on my weight loss journey comes in the form of support. I was very lucky that my family was very supportive of my decision to have WLS. So supportive that they began to watch every morsel of food I put in my mouth. But that is a topic for another day.

In my research done on the net prior to my surgery I found an abundant of info for what we term newbies. Newbies are those people who have just recently had WLS. But I was at a loss to find too many who were long term. The center where I had my surgery offered support group meetings twice a month---but here again they were mostly newbies or pre-ops. I was looking to the future--I had heard the stories of those who underwent WLS and gained all their weight back. I didn't want to be one of the statistics. So loving the net the way I do, I began an exhaustive search trying to find anything I could on doing this long term.
I finally found what I was looking for. And in the oddest way.

I had done my own research and found out low carb eating was the way to go after WLS, so I hit all the best sites for low carb on the net. I followed link after link from these sites gathering tons of info along the way. On one particular site there was a link under the heading weight loss surgery. What---you're kidding me here---a low carb site was actually giving a link to a site dealing with WLS. I was shocked---because of the way I was received on some of the low carb sites was not pretty--I was accused of taking the easy way out---should have done low carb eating and not had surgery, and other such stuff---although not quite that nice the majority of the time.

Any hoo----the link I found led me to a blog called LivingAfterWLS. It had only been around a few months but it was exactly what I had been searching for. The author of the blog was Kaye Bailey---a wonderful person who was 5 yrs post op when I met her. Well that was two years ago---and that little blog has grown to be one of the most informative websites dealing with WLS. There is also a forum that began a year ago, called the Neighborhood. We have people from all walks of life. The people there are in this for the long haul---we laugh together, cry together, and give lots of cyberhugs too. But when you mess up we also let you know it ----you are no longer normal and never will be ever again. We not only support our WLS side of life but lives as a whole.

I've also received lots of wonderful support from some low carb sites---such as Jimmy Moore--Livin' La Vida Low-Carb. He and other low carb sites keep me true to my way of eating. You ought to check out some of the other low carb links I have in my blog roll----they are all wonderful. And they don't judge me because I had WLS.

But it all comes down to the support network you put in place in your life. To be successful at anything you do in life---you need the support of those around you. Everyone wants a cheerleader in their corner---it makes the bumpy road a whole lot easier to travel.

3 comments:

Suzique said...

You go, girl! I admire your courage for having the WLS and would have had it myself if my insurance would have paid for it (believe me, I tried). And kudos to you for finding the low-carb lifestyle to ensure that your surgery results stick--you look great!

BamaGal said...

Thanks to you and the other great low carb sites for being there for support---couldn't have gotten where I am today without y'all.

Oberon said...

.......i like you.....i like candy......everybody likes candy.