Friday, June 22, 2007

Doing What is Right

Okay---I have a very long history of bringing home strays. Not only the four legged variety either. I have always been one to fall for a hard luck story. I call it compassion for my fellow humans. My family just says I'm nuts.

All this being said, I found myself in a bit of a predicament this past week. While on my camping trip, my ex-hubby, well not really ex we just don't live under the same roof----anyway that's another long story. He called all in an uproar. A guy we had helped out on numerous occasions---like feeding him---giving him a place to sleep---and a whole lot of other things too, had passed away. This man came from a very large family, but no one was willing to claim the body and make sure he had a decent burial. He had alienated most of them with his long history of drug and alcohol abuse. I personally had worked hard to get him clean. Had helped get him into his own apartment and got him started on disability due to his severe medial problems. He stayed off the drugs but continued to drink to excess finally killing him.

I was totally PO'd by the fact that the family would not take care of the final arrangements. There is just no excuse for it in my opinion. But I had no idea what my hubby wanted me to do about it. So I let it go. After repeated calls from him over what was suppose to be a relaxing weekend for me, I told him I'd check into what was going on AFTER my camping trip.

So once I returned home, I did a little digging. The county was gonna bury him in a paupers grave. I could not see this happening. So I took it upon myself to get things done. I had worked with this mans sister at one time so I appealed to her. She was not willing to carry the financial burden of a proper funeral. She agreed to take care of things if I could come up with the money.

Now my many years of living on the edge of society have brought me into contact with some low lives. As I refer to them---high people in very low places. With alot of fast talking I convinced 5 of them to foot the bill for this man's funeral with no strings attached. So he finally had a proper burial.

I guess I will always be one to fight for the underdog. I will always do what I can for my fellow man. I will always be bringing home strays.....but so what...

2 comments:

Sparky's Girl said...

Bravo my dear friend! I do so appreciate a person with a genuinely kind and compassionate heart. Bless you for seeing to it that this poor soul got a proper burial.

My husband and I have a deep passion to work with the homeless/down and out. We are currently trying to make that dream a reality.

KansasSunflower said...

Wow - what a wonderful thing you did! And how crappy his relatives were, no matter how distant. If that's all you have, that's all you have.

There should be more people like you in the world. :-)