Friday, June 8, 2007

Off To The Great Outdoors....

This has been a very busy week so far. But all of that is about to change as of tomorrow. My little furbaby, Bear and I are off to do a little camping all by our lonesome. We'll be spending 4 days and 3 nights on the banks of the Alabama River just south of Selma. It's a Corps of Engineers campground and completely safe for a single woman and her dog. My dad was concerned so he called the campground to alert the host about me. I have instructions to identify myself when I arrive so the host families can check in with me throughout my stay.

Some of y'all may be wondering just what a "host" is. Well it's a job I would love to have believe you me. My own aunt and uncle did this for a time. It is usually a retired couple who bid for the position each year. They live at the campground for an entire year free and work. They are paid what they bid. It is usually 2-4 couples depending on the size of the campground. They share the work. This means they man the gate from opening to closing---usually 6 AM to 10 PM. Plus they patrol the park throughout the day checking up on people. They are not responsible for keeping the grounds or restrooms cleaned---there's a crew for that. But they are on call 24-7 though if any of the campers need them. Some of the campgrounds have volunteers who live there, like the one my family and I went to over Memorial Day weekend. This guy lives there alone and monitors the bluebirds. Since this particular park is only open for visitors from March to mid November, he keeps track of things around there during the off season. I personally would love to take on this job. But the requirements state it has to be a couple of some sort. Bear and I don't fit the bill. Any of y'all out there in cyberland interested in being my partner? Seriously....

The park I'm heading to has a paved bike trail. I hit our thrift store and found an old single gear ladies bike with a wire basket on the front for Bear. I'll be able to use his seat belt to harness him in so we can ride. They also have some fishing piers but the host told my dad you can throw a line out from your campsite. So maybe I'll be having fresh grilled fish for dinner one night.

It's suppose to be a real hot weekend---in the 90's---with afternoon popcorn showers. I don't particularly like camping in the rain, but we need it so bad right now because of the drought we are having. So I'll just muddle through it. I'm taking some crochet stuff and books just for this. Everything is all packed up and just waiting to be loaded in the truck. I would do it today but I have somewhere to go tonight. So will load up tomorrow morning. I'll see y'all back here late Tuesday hopefully with plenty of pics......See ya....

0 comments: