Saturday, July 28, 2007

Kimkins Saga---Revisited

As anyone knows in the low carb community, these past weeks have been a storm of controversy. It has taken time to come full circle. I was upset by much of the info being thrown around. My biggest problem was the unhealthy approach to weight loss the Kimkins supposedly "diet" represents. Very low calorie diets are just not healthy. Plus the constant equation to gastric bypass was a bone of contention with me too.

Another reason it upset me so, was the whole-hearted endorsement by Jimmy Moore. Someone who I greatly admired. When I first began doing great research on low carb eating, after my WLS. I looked to Jimmy's blog as a point of reference. I frequently posted links to important research found at his to the WLS forums I frequent. I was a daily reader of his blog. He spent a great amount of time and effort to get good positive info out about living a low carb life. I feel he let me and many others in the low carb community down with his insistence that Kimkins should be an option for people. After finally looking into the concerns of many in the low carb community, he has "seen the light". Check out his post for yourself.

Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb™ Blog: From The Bottom Of My Heart, I'm Sorry

As for the very low calorie diet pushed by Kimkins---it is just bad news. that is not a healthy way to approach weight loss. You screw up your entire body. Making it impossible to sustain any weight loss in the long run. Check out this post. Carol did really did her research and I'm all for that.

Kudos For Low Carb (And High Expectations): How Much Body Fat Can You Really Lose In A Week?

All this being said--I want to now address my WLS friends. I love each of you dearly, but I see so many of you caught up in the low calorie, low fat hype. The majority of you had this surgery to become healthier. Continuing to force your body to live on a very low calorie diet will only make sustained weight loss impossible. Take the time to read Carols enlightening post. Take the time to listen to the SCIENCE. Yes there is contradictory info out there. Yes you still have many who push the "carbs are essential" nonsense. You have to look at their motivation. As the saying goes---follow the money.

I see so many of you still spouting the "whole grain" is good for you ideas. We have enough time getting the proper nutrition due to our surgery without taking in food that can do nothing for our body but cause a rise in insulin. Which only leads to further hunger and need of more carbs. You would be much better off if you would add fat to your eating plan and give up the whole grains.

I know, many of you have a problem with dumping when you eat fatty foods. But what are you eating alone with it. My guess is the whole grains AKA fiber. Fiber is another thing the body really does not need. I've got a post coming up that will address this in further detail. Let's just say this---leave off the fiber and carbs and up your fat---especially saturated fat---and there will be no more dumping. Plus you will benefit from being able to absorb your vitamins more readily.

Well I'll get down off my soapbox now. This rant is over. I would like to say I hope the Kimkins saga will be history---but as long as the site still stands---the saga will continue. I'll continue to stand behind my fellow bloggers to get the real truth out there.

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Excellent post!!

I am also glad Jimmy has jumped off the Kimkins wagon!! From what I understand, he was never really doing her plan, but promoting it anyway....and ignoring the obviously too low calorie aspects!

I was kind of surprised when you mentioned dumping. I haven't heard of that in years and thought they figured out a way to prevent it. But yea, with the big push for fiber and whole grains, of course it would still be an issue!

BamaGal said...

Cindy---hiya!!
Dumping is a real problem after WLS. Usually it is anything with sugar for most. But numerous people experience it with their fat intake.
Me, I get that way off anything with too high a Glycemic Index. I once ended up in the ER from eating rice of all things. Not every post op has these problems though. I do fine with my high fat consumption.

Not a Chance! said...

Excellent post!

WLS has risks and those following diets low in calories following WLS are under medical supervision. Kimkins exploits the idea that if WLS patients can eat just 500 calories, anyone can and can avoid WLS. It's a dangerous thing to follow a very low calorie diet without medical supervision!

Kat said...

Friends don't let friends do Kimkins! Remember that cover girl on the WW Mag? Well, she learned the hard way about Kimkins and it's dangers!! Read her blog and decide for yourself.

http://the-journey-on.blogspot.com/

OhYeahBabe said...

Great post, thanks! Say no to Kimkins!!

Stop the fraud! If you were a member of Kimkins, join the Kimkins diet lawsuit! Here is how to join the Kimkins lawsuit. It's easy!

OhYeahBabe said...

Great post, thanks! Say no to Kimkins!!

Stop the fraud! If you were a member of Kimkins, join the Kimkins diet lawsuit! Here is how to join the Kimkins lawsuit. It's easy!

Kat said...

Now that you know the Truth...Join the Lawsuit!!

http://kimkinslawsuit.wordpress.com/

Kat said...

Boycot Kimkins in 2008!! Wanna know why? Go here to start and then read all the blogs:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet_Articles/Kimkins:_Anatomy_of_a_Diet_Scam/

Kat said...

This is one of the key players in the fight against Kimkins and I think you should read her blog...don't foget to search the webring too and see the other great info about this SCAM!

http://honeybeesblog.wordpress.com/

Kat said...

The "Time Worstall Tabloid Edition" says:

November 12, 2007
Kimkins
Kimkins, or the Kimkins diet has been shown up to be just another scam on the unsuspecting.

Heidi "Kimmer" Diaz, the founder of the Kimkin's diet - a low carb, low calorie diet - is schedule to appear in a Southern California court on Monday, November 12th, 2007. 11 former users of her Kimkins diet program filed a complaint against her one week ago, claiming fraud, false advertising, and unjust enrichment.
The Kimkin's scandal began when Woman's World, a popular women's magazine featured an article on the Kimkin's diet.

Ms Diaz, who was claiming to have lost 198 pounds in 11 months using her diet plan, refused to meet with the magazine in person, instead corresponding through email. She went so far as to send the magazine before and after pictures that looked nothing alike, which makes sense when people found out that the before pictures were Ms. Diaz, however the after pictures were taken from a Russian 'mail-order' bride web site.

The kimkins diet advised eating just 500 calories a day. That less than concentration camp victims were getting:

Kimkins diet followers reported hair loss, menstrual cessation, irregualr heartbeat, fainting spells, and liver damage from the starvation diet scam.

No damn wonder! Let's hope she's jailed where she can get a decent diet!

Kat said...

Happy 2008 All...Don't become a stastic of the Kimkins Diet Scam in 2008. I have faith in people and I know that there are a lot of people out there that will do the research and find the horrors of the Kimkins diet, the bannings of "lifetime" members for no reason other than to take their money from them, the no feedback from Kimmer herself on the site as promised and the dangers of the starvation diet that Kimmer (Heidi K. Diaz), who never even lost the weight herself, promotes. Ban Kimkins in 2008 and find a free and safe diet site to support your weight loss efforts in 2008. The year you will succeed WITHOUT Kimkins starvation diet!