Monday, August 20, 2007

Away For Awhile

I will be away for awhile from blogging and other online activities. My father's family has had several illnesses as of late. I am stepping in to assist my cousins at this time. They came to me recently and asked for my assistance in dealing with doctors and such. My father wanted me to help but would not ask me. I could not tell him no. He wanted it to be my decision alone. So in case I did not feel I was up to it, I could say no without guilt. Thank goodness for that. I agreed to help where ever I could.

The main one is my oldest and favorite cousin. He was just diagnosed with liver cancer. It has metastasized already so the prognosis is not good. I will be helping the family set up things in the home and getting hospice involved. His health has not been the best for a number of years. Which only makes this that much harder on the family. Having worked hospice before in my 20 year nursing career, I'm familiar with all the ins and outs. This will help make his final days that much easier. Also it will help the family cope with everything to come.

My father's oldest brother living brother is another I will be assisting. He has been diagnosed with the mid-stages of Alzheimer's. My cousins refuse to place him in a facility, so I will be assisting them in finding good qualified people to help out in their home on an around the clock basis. I will probably be taking some shifts myself in the beginning. Giving us added time to get just the right people.

I personally am doing very well. So do not be concerned about me. I just felt the need to not add too much by worrying about my blogging at this time. So take care everyone and I will return when I can.

4 comments:

DietKing2 said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this dark time right now. I'm thinking of you and your family, and I will miss your blogging.
When you get a chance, check out this site. I bought his book--it's quite a read.
Fondly,
Adam

http://www.beating-cancer-gently.com/index.html

Kaye Bailey said...

Oh sweet Bama - you take on so much. I do wish you strength and purpose as you assist those who are in need. And please do remember to take care of yourself during this time. Bless you sweet friend.
{{hugs}}

Sparky's Girl said...

I wish you the best in taking care of your family. That is certainly more important than blogging. :0) You just do what you have to do and we'll be here with open arms when you get back. You are in my prayers dearest!

Sherrie said...

BG you are the best! :)

I wish you and your family all the best through this trying time. When I was a teenager my mum took care of someone dying of liver cancer at home, they will need your support so much and your so brave to do that!