Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fatblogging

It is the first of the month an time for a weigh-in. I am up 5lbs. I knew I would be. Actually I'm surprised it is not more. This past month has been extremely trying. Which in turn leads me to eat. The only thing to do is acknowledge it and move on. It's not the end of the world. I'll just need to keep a tighter hold on myself.

I started to fore go this post at all. No one really wants to admit when they screw up. It comes back to accountability and personal responsibility. It does no good for me to ignore it and only report the good days.

I write frequently about the LivingAfterWLS website I belong to. The founder, Kaye Bailey, developed an Empowerment Philosophy for them members. I have it printed out an posted on my wall to remind me how important taking responsibility for my own health is, the good as well as the bad.

The first step to personal empowerment is personal responsibility. LivingAfterWLS holds individuals accountable for making their weight loss surgery successful. When individuals take responsibility they feel liberated and motivated to invest personal equity in their success.
Personal empowerment is not borne of the statement "I am empowered." It is a state of mind cultivated with education, thought and validation.


I take this philosophy and attempt to apply it to my everyday life. You all are faced with choices on a day to day basis. We make those choices. No one makes them for us. So we must live with the consequences and take responsibility for them. We can not lay blame at someone else's feet.

As far as my weight loss or gain---there can be no excuses. No one has a gun at my head forcing me to put foods into my mouth that I know will lead to a weight gain. Shoot in my case---what the sam hill is that food even doing in my house. I live alone. I do the grocery shopping. Even those who share a household with someone else, have a choice. Just because it is there doesn't mean you have to eat it.

I do not see myself as a failure. That is what got me in trouble so many years of yo-yo dieting. I would cheat, then feel like a failure, then eat more because of my despair. Which is stupid in the first place.

So now--what is my plan for this month. One is not to buy stuff I know not to eat in the first place, no matter what the reason is. Second is to find something to relieve the anxiety leading me to eat in the beginning. Third is to choose a different food all together if #2 doesn't work. Something that is low carb but will satisfy my "head hunger" without adding pounds.

Are you taking responsibility for your health, your weight loss??? We have a saying in the Neighborhood.

I CONTROL MY FORK.

Each person is the master of their own destiny. So hold yourself accountable for your Bad choices as well as the good.

1 comments:

Lady Rose said...

A truly motivating post! I couldn't agree more.

My weight is going up a bit and down and all over the place for past few weeks - but I'm posting it any way - it's not the number on the scale, it's getting healthy that matters and "cultivating" the empowered state of mind (great philosophy by the way)