Monday, August 27, 2007

The Protein Dilemma

As any WLSer knows you have to get in your protein. Each bariatric center has a different requirement. It usually ranges somewhere around 60-70 gms per day. When you are in the fast weight loss phase the protein intake is crucial. You want to be losing the fat not your muscles.

In looking for some good protein shake recipes, I stumbled upon this fascinating tool from Unjury. It is a protein calculator. It is simple to use. It will also calculate some basic protein foods for you. The only problem I found with it was the exclusion of higher fat foods, like full fat milk and cottage cheese for example.

In playing around with it I found that when I first had my surgery I should have been getting in 90gms+/day of protein---my forced 60-70 was well below what my body needed. Now I should only be getting in 50gms---I'm quite sure I get in way more than that now.

Here's another way to calculate your protein needs: How to Calculate How Much Protein You Need for Optimum Weight Loss on a Low Carb Diet. It is a time consuming effort but is more scientific than the previous way. It also takes into account the amount of protein you need for the brain.

Getting back to the "newbies"---new post-WLSers. Getting in your protein is very difficult when your pouch wants to revolt on you every time you turn around. Most rely on protein shakes in the beginning. Some even use them long term, although it is not necessary. As your weight drops so does your protein requirement.

I received an email recently from someone wanting some recipes for protein shakes. I'm going to post some of my favorite ones. Let me add this bit of info too. The best protein powder you can ever invest in is Unjury UNFLAVORED. Being unflavored you can add it to anything. As a newbie myself, I added it to creamed soups, SF jell-o, refried beans, my morning coffee, just about everything. Unjuy's website even has some good recipes. Even recommending to add it to Crystal Light. I never did that, but it sounds good to me.

Here are some good shake recipes I found online. These are the one's I have used myself. You will find most are low carb---which means they will be higher fat---which is a good thing. Some of these recipes call for soy protein powder---NEVER use the soy---always go for the whey protein powder. Soy is not a good thing for anyone. Here again Unjury is my favorite brand of protein powder. It is smoother in texture and no aftertaste. Which was a good thing for me as a newbie---too many things just made me gag.

CAROLINE'S AWESOME LOW CARB SHAKE
DI'S BASIC SHAKE AND VARIATIONS you'll love the many variations for this one
CHOCOLATE/COFFEE SHAKE (& VARIATIONS)
TASTE OF THE TROPICS PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
RASPBERRY TRUFFLE SMOOTHIE

I hope you all do well with your protein needs. It is vital you get in all your nutrients. Protein, vitamins, water, and don't ever forget your fat intake too. You have had a major surgery to make your life healthier, do not let yourself get too comfortable in your eating where you actually suffer from undernourishment, and you gain weight to boot.

2 comments:

DietKing2 said...

I've just read your last 3 posts, and I've got to tell you, you've got one of the best blogs I've ever seen. You have an incredible way of presenting information and making technical stuff understandable and actually interesting. You've given me quite an education from day one and I always look forward to your posts.

This post is dynamite regarding protein intake; I've been neglecting my intake since cutting back on my calories (got a little impatient there with my stalled weight loss) but you've made me realize I could be shorting myself precious muscle and building blocks.
Thank you!
Adam;-)

BamaGal said...

Adam, thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. It means even more coming from you.