Tuesday, September 4, 2007

BBQ Sauce Recipe

This is for all of you who don't like the BBQ sauces you find in the store. I make all my condiments from scratch. Too many of the store bought ones are full of hidden sugar. My fellow blogger, Adam, DietKing, asked what kind I used. I posted one earlier Recipes For The 4th. I also get many of my recipes from Linda, Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes. Here is one of my favorite BBQ sauces from her site, Smokey BBQ Sauce.

Basic BBQ Sauce

4 Tbs onion,minced
1 cup tomato puree
3/4 cup water
3 Tbs vinegar
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Stir frequently until thickened. Store in the fridge. Keeps very well.

Last year, I got real industrious and made very large batches of several sauces and canned them. It was wonderful to be able to just grab a jar when I needed it. I haven't had time this year, but I still may break down and do it before long.

Many people put away their grill after Labor Day. They think of it as a summer time only thing. Since we have milder weather here in the south, grillin' is a year round thing. At least it is for me. I've been known to be outside deep in the throes of winter putting something on the grill. Grillin' is also very good for a low carb lifestyle. So don't push that grill aside just because summer is over. Make it a year round method of cooking, not seasonal. You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

DietKing2 said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, darlin'!
Adam;-)

HEWY said...

Thanks for the recipe!

BamaGal said...

Adam, you are most welcome!! Anytime.

Hewy--thanks for stopping by---great to see a fellow Bama person visit here. Especially someone within spittin' distance.