Saturday, February 16, 2008

Eating Disorders and WLS---Once Again

Here I go once again writing about eating disorders and WLS. I've been very open about my loooooong history with an ED, over 30 years now. I knew I wasn't alone in this. Shoot, I'm of the opinion if you don't have an ED before WLS, you sure end up with one afterwards.

Some of the WLS support boards are very much like the pro-ana, pro-mia boards. Well, diet support sites in general, really. Everyone cheering you on as you lose weight. Telling you to ignore your hunger signals. Totally obsessed with the numbers on the scale. Thinking it is "normal" to only be taking in 1000 cals/day. Many are obsessed with exercise to the point of being an addiction.

I have a pretty long list of WLS blogs in my blog roll---well it is real long it just rotates through a few at a time. One of those blogs has always been been HotFat4Sale. I'll be honest with you, haven't read it in quite awhile. An online friend emailed me about it recently. She knows my history with an ED and my recent posts about it. So here is my open letter to Just Jen.

I just want you to know I can empathize with the troubles you are having right now. I won't even try to say I know what you are going through. I'm not you. We each deal with our ED behaviors in a different way. I won't try to give you words of wisdom. I won't pretend to know how you are feeling. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in your struggles. Having an ED is debilitating enough to your health. Couple that with the nutritional imbalances after a RNY and your health can truly suffer.

I could be in your shoes with the purging aspects. But since my surgery, it is impossible for me to throw up at all. Believe me I've tried often enough. So that is one saving grace for me. My nutritional health is suffering enough right now without adding that into the mix.

I wish you the best in dealing with everything going on right now. There are many going through the same things. They just won't admit it.

Jen states in her blog, that she had an ED prior to her WLS. The WLS just made the symptoms worse.

I know there are others out there suffering with an ED and WLS. You may not admit to others, but I see it on the boards. I just wish you would recognize the behaviors for yourself. Check here and see if you may have an ED.

1 comments:

Just Jen said...

Thanks. I just stumbled on your blog and came in through another post. Read down...and here I am. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Jen