Friday, April 18, 2008

So much to do so little time

I have found many things I would like to blog about. But time is not a luxury right now. I'll just give you some really great links.

Junkfood Science: News updates: Decisions guided by fears, misinformation and insecurities

An investigative report for the Courier-Mail learned of a doctor who has performed more than a dozen bariatric surgeries on underage teens in the past year. Most disturbing, he is prepared to operate on children as young as ten years of age.


on counselling and mental health services « Fat Lot Of Good


I had to say how disturbing it was to read the experiences readers at The F-Word have had with counsellors/ therapists/psychiatrists and mental health services in general. While I was not at all surprised by their accounts, I was still distressed on their behalf. Mental health service provision (or lack thereof) is an issue I know from both sides of the fence. I am a qualified social worker and counsellor, and I am currently doing post-grad study in counselling. I also have chronic depression and an anxiety disorder that raises its head every so often. And no, my depression has nothing to do with my weight. I suffered from depression when I was slim, when I was slightly overweight and when I was a lot over weight. My weight has been irrelevant to my experience of depression. I have been on medication practically non-stop since I was 21. I am not ashamed to admit that. There are people that will say I shouldn’t be a social worker or a counsellor because of my own depression. I say “bollocks”. My experience with depression and anxiety has given me a great deal of insight as well as bucket loads of empathy for others in similar circumstances and also for anyone who has to deal with mental health services in any way, shape or form.


melting mama: Gulp.

A friend of mine, another roux en y'er, just got back from her testing for her hypoglycemia issues, and it's confirmed: She's got nesidioblastosis, and she's scheduled for a partial pancreactomy next week.

That's a partial explanation for babies that are BORN with this disorder - it's not something that adults generally ever have - unless they were born with it. It's a genetic disorder, except in the cases of the adults that are popping up that happened to have roux-en-y gastric bypass, because this unique metabolism situation triggers hyperinsulinism in some of us.


Big Girl in a Big City: Romantic songs notwithstanding.....:

Where I am at right now is in the crosshairs of the bullseye. Underneath all the bravada of my words (Gym, Church, NO FRIGGEN CHEESE) is my desire to uncover, identify and release the behaviors that keep me in a state of 'I'm not good enough' or 'I'm not worth it'. So here is a pattern. I start. It's perfect. Life gets in the way, I get tired, I don't want to. I do it anyways, then life really gets in the way. I don't, but go back, and maybe even lie about it. (Yes, those stairs are a workout, yes, swimming for 15 mins is a workout). Mainly lying to myself. Then I stop, but just for a rest, just for a day. Then life again (always ever encroaching on my fun) barges in and brings responsibilities with it. Son of a biscuit. So I go TOO BUSY< TOO BUSY and sit on the couch for a couple hours. Sleep more. Eat more. Stop being present to what I am eating. And it's now two days later, and I am tired and scared of the gym again.

Tumors Use Sugars To Avoid Programmed Cell Death

Jonathan Coloff, a graduate student in Assistant Professor Jeffrey Rathmell's laboratory in the Duke Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, has found that the tumor cells use glucose sugar as a way to avoid programmed cell death. They make use of a protein called Akt, which promotes glucose metabolism, which in turn regulates a family of proteins critical for cell survival, the researchers shared during an April 15 presentation at the American Association of Cancer Research Annual Meeting in San Diego.


EMERGENCY! TEH FATZ ARE COMIN’! « Fat Lot Of Good

* Be sure you are stocked up on Sanity Watchers Points before reading this post - you have been warned*

I start to wonder what hope there is of educating the average person about Fat Acceptance when this sort of crap is shouted out from the rafters by those in authority and those holding positions of power.

421 pounds: Cheryl Harvey's story

Video of the journey of Cheryl Harvey after having WLS.


Going once… going twice… survey reminder » The-F-Word.org

The feedback to my survey for bloggers who write about eating disorders has been fantastic. I’ve had about 270 people take the survey, although not all completed it. The survey is rather long - 40 questions - but very few of the questions are fill in the blank so I think you can complete it within 15 minutes or so. If you start it, please, please finish it! I can’t include uncompleted surveys!
EULAR evidence-based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome « Living with Fibromyalgia

The EULAR guidelines for the management of Fibromyalgia Syndrome (Fibro), which were e-published last July, have now been published in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.

The full article can be seen here, but the evidence-based recommendations are summarised into 9 simple points:

Attenuated adrenergic responses to exercise in women with fibromyalgia « Living with Fibromyalgia:

An article was published in the April edition of the European Journal of Pain discusing a controlled study that looked that the adrenergic responses to exercise in women with fibromyalgia syndrome (Fibro).

The researchers from the Department of Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders at the National Institute of Occupational Health, Norway said in the article that “altered responses from the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis, sympathetic nervous system and muscular system have been suggested as being of importance” in the pathogenesis of widespread pain and fibromyalgia syndrome.


Education Issues: Action Alerts and Updates:

April 15, 2008--On March 24, the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) published new proposed regulations enforcing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which governs disclosures from students’ records by educational institutions. (Federal Register, March 24, 2008, Vol. 73, No. 57 (15574 - 15602; 34 CFR Part 99).

The proposed rules address the disclosure of information to parents and others and set a new standard for DOE’s review of disclosures. The proposed rules also address other matters, including requirements in the U.S. Patriot Act and the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and two U.S. Supreme Court decisions (Owasso Independent School Dist. No. I-011 v. Falvo, and Gonzaga University v. Doe).



That should be plenty to look into for the weekend.

There will be a pop quiz on Monday........just kidding. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Great list of links- thanks!

Bipolar Speaks said...

Most of you know me as “Dreamwriter.” I recently
Launched a new blog called, “Bipolar Speaks.” One day something came over me as I was reading websites called “Post Secret” and also a blog who had a post where they had quotes from other Bloggers with mental illness about how they felt.

It occurred to me that WE need an escape to let out our feelings and frustrations. I know that a lot of bloggers say what they feel within their own blogs, but you are welcome to share your thoughts, opinions, and feelings.

You are welcome to help raise awareness and put a stop to the Stigma that lies within mental illness. We can change the world - one story at a time.

I thought it would be interesting
To design a “Safe Haven” for those who battle with a Mental Illness; and allow them to come and let out their most darkest, painful, and emotional feelings. This would be a great way to spread awareness by letting society know what is REAL about mental illness.

If you are interested, you can submit a story or short piece as an “Anonymous” contributor, or if you don‘t care about what others think, then feel free to reveal your blogger identity; its purely up to you.. I tried this several times and the “Anonymous” button works and ends up in my email as an “Anonymous” comment.

The rules and regulations are in the blog within a post. Take the time to read them thoroughly and I hope that you become a constant contributor.

Remember, we all have things on our chest to let out and we all truly don’t want others to know. But now is an opportunity for YOU to speak up, speak out, and be heard!

I know that I have a lot of feelings and issues that I don’t want my husband, friends, or family to know about…this is my chance to get it off my chest and I WILL be a constant contributor.

Depending on the issue, I might submit the story under both “anonymous” and my name.
Go to “Bipolar Speaks” and look around, don’t forget to display the Bipolar Speaks button on your blog and link it back to us.

By the way, I still have my other blog, so don’t forget about me over there, too. :)